Today’s recipe is from Chef Freda Gore.
Jamaican Patties are an all-time favorite Caribbean snack embraced around the world over with fillings like chicken, beef, vegetable, lobster, and fish blended with tropical seasoning and spices of the islands.
In this recipe chicken was used as the filling however, you can adjust the recipe meat or fish choice to suit your taste.
For the pastry:
- 2 Cups all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon ground turmeric or annatto
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup or 1 stick butter
- ¾ cup cold water
Sift the flour, turmeric, and salt in a bowl. Cut the butter into small pieces and add the flour mixture. Mix well with fingers until the mixture resembles coarse meal or breadcrumbs. Wrap dough in plastic and chill for 45 minutes to 1 hour
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1 hot pepper deseeded and chopped ( can use 2 teaspoons hot sauce)
- 1 sprig of thyme finely chopped
- 2 sprigs fresh chives finely chopped
- 2 sprigs fresh parsley finely chopped
- 2 large tomatoes finely chopped
- 2 large boneless Chicken breast cut into small cubes to make 2 cups ( or ground beef or fish)
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric or annatto
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- ¼ cup chicken stock
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon brandy or rum
Heat the butter in a large saucepan, cook the onion, garlic, hot pepper, thyme, chives, parsley, and tomatoes until soft. Add the chicken and the remaining spices
Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add the stock and cook over medium heat for 15 minutes or until liquid is evaporated, Add the brandy and stir to combine. Remove from heat and cool.
2 egg yolks beaten together in a small bowl
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees, Roll out the pastry and cut into circles using a small saucer( about 8-12 inches).
Place 2 tablespoon of the filling on one side of the circle, brush the edge lightly with the egg yolk and fold the other side over so that the edges meet.
Crimp edges together using a fork until edges are sealed. Place the patties on a greased baking sheet, brush tops with the beaten egg yolks.
Bake in the oven for 35 minutes or until tops are golden. Serve hot
Makes 6 large patties or 12 small ones.